What if I can’t afford to pay?

Undeclared income guide


After disclosing via your local tax office, you may not have the money to pay the tax, interest and penalties.

In the course of his enquiries the inspector will ask about your current assets and liabilities, and income and expenses. If you could not afford to pay all the tax, interest and penalties immediately, HM Revenue and Customs may accept an offer to pay it over a period of time, for example:

If you have no valuable assets, and your income is not very high, the inspector may settle the case on a reduced number of years. Penalties may also be reduced. Once the enquiry is concluded, the case is passed to Debt Management and Banking to pursue payment of tax and interest in the same way as any other unpaid bill (see our Tax Debt Guide for advice about this process).