PLEASE NOTE: The charity TaxAid advises only those people on low incomes whose problems cannot be resolved with HMRC.

Refunds of National Insurance

National Insurance

It is possible to overpay National Insurance. This may happen, for example:

  • if you have paid National Insurance after reaching the state pension age,
  • if you are highly paid and have more than one employment or are employed and self-employed on high earnings and didn’t apply for deferment.

There is a tool for reclaiming National Insurance on the website here.