Couples – can you transfer your unused tax allowances?

The system for claiming the Marriage Allowance is up and running. It could save you up to £252 in the year to 5 April 2022.

Will you benefit?

To benefit from the Marriage Allowance you need to be part of a married couple or be civil partners. One member of the couple must have taxable income of less than the £12,570 tax-free personal allowance.

In addition:

How to claim

The claim should be made by the partner with the lower income.

Go to

You will need some information to prove your identity to HMRC. So make sure you have the details to hand:

You will also need both your own and your partner’s National Insurance numbers.

What happens next?

If your partner has income taxed under PAYE, such as an employment or pension, then their PAYE tax code will be increased by the amount of the available Marriage Allowance. This will mean that they pay slightly less tax.

More information

If you are unable to make a claim on-line, you may phone HMRC on 0300 200 3300 and ask to make a Marriage Allowance claim. You will need the information listed above.

There is information on the Marriage Allowance on the website at

This entry was posted on Monday, November 2nd, 2015 at 6:59 pm and is filed under Tax News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.