PLEASE NOTE: The charity TaxAid advises only those people on low incomes whose problems cannot be resolved with HMRC.

Contact us

Other pages

Please note that TaxAid is not an alternative to seeking help from HMRC (0300 200 3300). HMRC can help with most tax queries and has access to and can change your tax records.

If you have a query about your current PAYE code, or how much tax has been taken off on your latest  payslip please call HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

If you are aged 60+ (and not self-employed) and on a low income and cannot resolve matters with HMRC, you should contact Tax Help for Older People on 01308 488066

TaxAid offers free, independent and confidential advice to UK taxpayers on a low income who haven’t been able to sort out their tax issues with HMRC and who are aged under 60, or who are self-employed.

TaxAid does not provide advice on Corporation Tax (Limited Companies), Tax Planning, Tax Credits, Benefits, Council Tax or non-UK tax issues. If you have a Tax Credits problem that has not been resolved by contacting HMRC, you should contact Citizen’s Advice

The primary, and most effective, way to get advice from TaxAid is to phone our helpline If, for any reason, you cannot contact our helpline please complete the contact form below. Please provide full details of your tax problem and circumstances – the more information you give, the more likely we are to be able to give you a helpful reply. It is important to give details such as sources of income, dates and amounts.

We are a charity with limited resources – please do not ask us for advice if you do not have a low income, or if you qualify for assistance from Tax Help for Older People. Please try to resolve matters with HMRC before contacting us. 

If you can, please phone our helpline rather than using the contact form – it can be up to 14 days before we reply. Please state your current level of income before setting out your query, or say that you depend entirely on state benefits. If it is difficult for you to use the phone (because of a disability or health condition or because you are overseas) please explain this before setting out your query.

If you wish to appoint a paid adviser see:

If you are unsure about anything on this form then please call our helpline.

    Name (required)

    Phone number (required)

    Email address (required)

    Town or Postcode (required)

    Total weekly income including benefits, but not tax credits (required)

    Do you need help with your 2020/21 tax return?

    Please tick the box if you agree that TaxAid can make a note of your data, including any personal data, that you have supplied in your enquiry so that we can provide you with a reply. We will only use your personal data to provide you with the advice you are requesting and for quality control and training purposes. Everything you tell TaxAid staff and volunteers will be treated confidentially. Further details are in our privacy notice which is available on the website below. Without ticking this box to confirm your consent we are unable to accept this enquiry.

    Details of Tax Problem