On-line training

Voluntary Sector Advisers

Be ready for clients with tax problems

With the closure of HM Revenue & Customs’ (HMRC) public enquiry centres and the launch of their nationwide telephony and mobile face-to-face service for those who “need extra support” in dealing with their tax affairs, some people may come to you for face to face help with tax issues.

Taxpayers and Tax Credit claimants may contact Citizens Advice and other advice providers as a first port of call, so it is critical that front-line advisers know how and where to signpost clients. There is a risk of people incurring unnecessary penalties and wasting appeal opportunities – so it is essential to get it right! Signposting, together with contact numbers for HMRC, is explained in the Voluntary Sector Guidance and HMRC’s explanatory leaflet .

TaxAid’s training film is here to explain and illustrate how to recognise which clients can be helped by HMRC, and who require input from TaxAid – primarily those needing calculations, independent advice or help during a dispute with HMRC .

Film 1 – The basics of signposting

Learn the basics of how to sign post a client to the appropriate place: be it HMRC, a tax charity or paid for professional advice.

Access film 1

Film 2 – Can HMRC help?

Know when is best to send a client to HMRC, and be aware of the services they provide.

Access film 2

Film 3 – Can the two tax charities help?

When is it necessary to send a client to TaxAid or Tax Help For Older People? Find out here.

Access film 3

Tax Debt – get it right!

This video provided an introduction to tax debt recovery and showed how to get the best outcomes. The video is no longer available but you can download links and text of the video here.