If you face challenges with mental health

Problems paying your tax? guide


HMRC’s duty to you

HMRC have stated that they will provide tailored support at the earliest opportunity to those who need extra help. Their support is in line with their responsibilities under the Equality Act to ensure that no one is disadvantaged.

HMRC monitors calls and correspondence to identify people who need extra help, including those with  mental health issues. HMRC advisers will transfer callers to specially trained advisers at the Extra Support Team. They will also refer individuals to voluntary organisations such as TaxAid.

What this means in practice

This does not mean that Debt Management (DM) will simply write off your tax. But if you can provide DM with evidence that you have a mental health problem, such as a letter from your GP or other health professional, then you may reasonably ask for some leeway in the way you are treated. For example:


Speaking to DM. It may feel difficult to speak to DM about your own mental health. You may prefer to ask a care worker, a friend or relative, or an advice agency such as TaxAid to speak to DM on your behalf. You will need to provide a letter or form of authority before they will release any information to a third party.